Monday, August 24, 2009

Belinda and Sondra

For the past several weeks I have been comparing and contrasting Canada and Ghana, the developed world and the developing world. However, even within Lawra there are startling differences between the way people live, and more importantly, the opportunities available to them. It is through two special little girls who have become my friends that I made this realization.

Belinda is 11 years old. She is the daughter of the pastor of The Church of Christ, where I attend with my host family. After the service on my first Sunday there, she came up to me and said that we (meaning Spencer, who was still here at that time, and myself) needed to come and greet the children's class. And so we went and said hello and carried on our way home. As services were closing on my second Sunday there, the rains came, trapping us at the church. Belinda decided that she needed to speak with me. The first thing she asked me, in near perfect English, was "Did you bring any toys for me?" I was a little taken back, but had to respond that no, I did not. Our conversation continued to the effect of something like:

"When will you return to your home?"

Not sure if she meant when will I brave the rains, or make my final journey home, I replied, "My home in Canada, or here?"

"Canada"

"In December, just before Christmas"

"So will you bring me back some toys then?"

Unfortunately I had to explain that I didn't know when I would be coming back after that. She wanted to know if I had some toys in my house here, and then when I told her I didn't, she reasoned that it was because I was big now and probably didn't need toys anymore, and c concluded that I should probably just mail her a doll when I got to Canada. In speaking with her, I was amazed at her language skills and comprehension. There were only a few words she didn't understand the meaning of, and when I explained them in other terms, she understood and then quickly integrated them into her own speach. Belinda loves school and studying, and wants to attend University. She told me she is ok at math and science, but her favorite class is Citizenship, perhaps explaining her desire to be a lawyer when she grows up. As she described how she will become a lawyer, Belinda tried to explain to me about a group that came to her school. I'm not entirely sure what organization it was, she referred to it as Equality, but that may be the program name. Students were given the opportunity to write about their dreams and "what they want to be when they grown up", and then the program will help to try and provide opportunities for the children to realize their dreams. However, this activity took place before she transferred into the school so she did not have the opportunity to participate. She wanted to write a letter to them independently but then explained that if she did it on her own, without their supervision there was the chance they wouldn't believe that she wrote it herself. Although she wanted to participate in this program, Belinda seemed confident that she could accomplish her dreams on her own and with God's help.

As much as I was questioning her to learn about the life of a middle-class Ghanaian 11 year old, she had plently of questions for me too.

"Do you come from the land where Barack Obama is?" I explained a little about the proximity of Canada and the United States, and tried to tell her about Stephen Harper, but she didn't seem too interested in him.

"Is it true that white people are always putting this white cream on their face and arms so they don't get touched by the sun?" She seemed amused when I explained that the purpose of sunscreen was not so I wouldn't turn black, but so I wouldn't turn red like the trim on her dress. (I've had other people ask me questions about the functionality of this white cream I put on all the time). Belinda, however, commented that my white skin was very beautiful, and that she like the little bits of color (i.e. freckles). This was different from some kids in Tamale who would point at me, then poke themselves in the patterns of freckles and just laugh.

Belinda expressed that she would like to come with me when I go back to Canada, and stay with me and greet my sisters. She had never been on a plane, but would like to go. Canada seemed especially inviting since you had to take two planes to get there, and then within Canada I had to take yet another to get to where my family was. (I hope I can remember this attitude when I am complaining whilst on my 8 hour flights home). I told her that Canada was probably much too cold for her, it was way colder than this rainy day we were experiencing, and that quite often, it snowed. She lit up when we started talking about snow, she had learned about it in school and thought it very neat that I had seen snow in real life.

At the end of our conversation she took my mobile number, because she wanted to be able to call me later. She gave me her father's number so that I could speak with her again sometime too, explaining that she really wanted her own phone, but her dad wouldn't buy it for her, and that she had to wait until she was older and had a job. Just before I was about to leave, she ran off to get me a copy of her portrait. Even though I had taken some photos of her, she wanted me to have a copy of portrait to share with my sisters in Canada. She carefully tore some paper out of her notebook and wrapped it up, and placed it carefully in my bag.

Later that evening, Sondra, the little neighbor girl came by. As she lives in the compound next door, I see Sondra a lot. She often meets me when I come home from work and helps me push my bicycle down the pathway. Often times I will be in my room and look up and see that she has appeared. For the first five minutes or so, she usually just stares at me, and then she will begin talking in Dagaare, oblivious to the fact that I cannot understand her. I love her sweet voice nevertheless. Her family doesn't speak any English, or have much education. They are subsistence farmers, and are focused entirely on survival. Whenever Sondra comes by, I look for some food to give her. My host family seems to feed the neighborhood on a rotating schedule, and pays special interest to the children. I find this absolutely amazing, since, through my Western eyes, they do not have much, but yet it is more than their neighbors. I happened to have some chocolate sandwich cookies in my bag from my Friday indulgence, so I gave her one. I smiled when she immediately split it open and started licking the filling like an Oreo. I watched her as she focused on eating it, all her attention was given to the food. Then, when I thought she was finished, she starting picking up the crumbs from the floor and eating them. Sometimes after she finishes eating, she just wonders off, but today she seemed to linger around. I don't have any toys, nor do I even know if Sondra would know what to do with them. I pulled out my notebook and ripped a sheet out and got a pen for her. We started to draw. I drew a dog, since I know the Dagaare word for dog, and could explain what it was. I wanted her to draw. She started drawing shapes. I call them shapes, because I was not sure what they were. She found a calendar under the chair and looked at the picture on it, a cartoon of some children standing the earth. Through her gestures I understood that she was going to try and draw that. She continued to draw some "shapes". I'm not entirely sure how old Sondra is, my guess is that she is about 4 or 5, since I know her older sister is 7. As I watched her draw, I couldn't stop thinking about her lack of opportunities for development. Her drawing ability was that of a two year old, and while she knew what she was trying to do, she could not represent it. I love Sondra, and wish I could provide her with the same opportunity as Belinda. These two girls live only 2 km apart, yet their lives are incredibly different. I've interacted with each independently, but it wasn't until I spent time with them both on the same day, I realized just how polar their lives are, and how blessed I was a child.

Last night, before I went to bed, my phone rang. I answered it even though I did not know the number.

On the other end I was greet by a "Hello Sister Elizabeth". Belinda just wanted to greet me and wish me good night.

No comments: