Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My New Home

While I adjust to life in Ghana, and figure out Lawra,  I have decided to stay where the previous JF lived. We stayed there together for a couple of days and thus, I’m fairly comfortable with the people in the area and have figured out how to get by. All that said, living here is quite different than what I am used to, and sometimes quite a struggle. I do not have electricity or clean water. I share my space with Sam, the groceries, and anyone else who needs a place to put their goods. Chickens and goats wander around, sometimes greeting me in the “shower”. I do not have a toilet, or even a latrine, just maize fields and the forest. But I am adapting and getting along relatively ok. Some days are easier than others, but fortunately no day is an entirely bad day.

So, time for a little tour.

The Compound: I live in a single family compound, and at the moment, only two people live at home. However, the community is very open and there is always a stream of people in and out. I’m getting to know most of the faces, but there seems to always be someone new. Clockwise from top-left: (1) The pathway from the road to our compound (2) Looking in from the west side. The area in the middle is where the shower is. The wall to the fields is barely chest height so you need to be listening for footsteps while showering so you know when to squat and hide. Maybe this is something only the white lady is concerned about? (3) Looking across the courtyard from my room. (4) Looking at home through the maize field before a storm.

DSCF1192DSCF1187 DSCF5070DSCF1180

  

Not-so-modern Amenities: Bottom Left – In the background, you will see a small woods. This is my toilet facility. Some use the shower area for #1. I struggle with that idea as everyone can hear you, see your backside, and well, it’s right next to my bedroom. Bottom right – The well. There is no bore-hole nearby, there is no tap. We buy Pure Water for me to drink, but this water is what goes into the cooking and washing. When there is rain water, I’m happy to bathe in clear water. Otherwise, I’ve been bathing in murky water. My family is convinced that it is safe and clean, explaining to me that it is only murky because it is raining so much, otherwise it would be as clean as bore hole water. I’m skeptical, especially since the water table is so high, and well, the toilet facilities were already explained. I try not to think about it (too much) and am grateful for power of Dukoral and prayer. I think my water and sanitation situation at home is my biggest challenge and fear. I am actively looking for a place with better facilities, but there doesn’t seem to be much around. In town, most use the public latrines, which are quite a disease factory, or again, their showers. There also aren’t that many bushes to use if you can’t make it to the latrine in time.

DSCF1186 DSCF5039

My Quarters: I don’t actually have my own room, which is proving to be quite challenging. I am not used to having to share my space like I do here. In essence, I am sharing a room with Sam. He gave me his bed, and he uses his student mattress on the floor. Sometimes he sleeps outside if it is warm, other times he comes and sleeps on the floor of the bedroom. I find it particularly difficult in the mornings. Once the family is awake, I am awake too. Photos (clockwise from top left): (1) The “veranda”, which is actually a proper room, leading into the bedroom. This is where we take our meals and hang out in the evening. (2) The corner of the bedroom with the desk and the window. Room illuminated by flashlight and camera flash. (3) My bed, with the clothes closet/line in the foreground. (4) My stuff, living in boxes, on the floor.

DSCF5195DSCF5112

DSCF5196 DSCF1176

Laundry Time: The first time I was quick enough to do my own laundry before any of the women figured out what I was doing. The second weekend Sam’s sister Diana insisted on doing it. After a small argument, I just gave in and let her do it. On the third weekend, I left my laundry for Sam’s mom. I felt bad doing so, but I really needed things washed and I was travelling and knew I wouldn’t have time. Do effectively do laundry, you need three containers: pre-soak, wash, and rinse. I prefer to use Sunlight soap over Key Soap, which seems to be the preference here, as it a smell that reminds me of home. And of course, the clothes line to dry. As much as I love clothes fresh out of the drier and the smell of Bounce, there is something to be said for sun-dried clothes. However, this being the rainy season, finding enough sun to dry the clothes is sometimes a challenge. (Note: The water in the black bucket on the left is straight from the well. I’m not entirely sure how effective washing your clothes in dirty water is, but it seems to get some of the visible dust and dirt out, I guess just leaving you with a silty residue).

 DSCF5193DSCF5194

1 comment:

Elizabeth Logan said...

I was just reading through some of my blog. I still remember being shocked to come out and see my underwear hanging on the line. In our training they told us to always make sure your underwear was hung inside; that it was culturally inappropriate to hang your underwear outside (is it appropriate anywhere?). I guess my host family was pretty open-minded, and I guess it was hung inside the family compound. When I lived on my own, and had Mishellen come by to do my laundry she always hung my underwear inside, and made sure to tell me that it had to be hung inside.