Thursday, August 6, 2009

No Turning Back

I guess the title of this post is a little deceptive, I’ve never actually thought about turning back (well, at least not for the last couple of days anyway). Rather, my anxiousness and (few) tears were more related to the fact that I have a lot of unknowns in front of me. There are the logistical and physical unknowns: Where will I live? What will my latrine look like? Will the bore hole in my town be working? Will my digestive system be ok? There are the emotional unknowns: Will I be able to leave the emotional challenges I faced in Canada behind me? Will I be able to build relationships with the people in my village? Will I miss my family and friends too much or will I be able to live and experience what is in front of me? There are the occupational unknowns: Will I be able to me successful in my work place? Will I understand want I need to do? Will I be able to accomplish what EWB wants me to? Will I create positive change and impact? And there is the unknown of the future and the bigger picture. Working in Development in Africa was something I had always thought about, but it was always something that was in the future. The future is now. In 12 hours I will be standing in Accra. At this point I can’t tell you what the next 4.5 months will be like, but I know that they are the next 4.5 months that I need right now. I’ve been feeling like there was something “next” for me in life. This is it, but it is also only the beginning of what I think will be an incredible journey.

No comments: