Monday, October 12, 2009

Gratitude and Thanksgiving

Gratitude requires awareness and effort, not only to feel it, but to express it … so often we are not grateful … Gratitude is a spirit-filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living god. Through it we become spiritually aware of the wonders of the smallest things, which gladdens our hearts ... when we communicate gratitude we can be filled with the spirit and connected to those around us … gratitude inspires happiness …  - Bonnie D. Parkin

I have always understood that I have been richly blessed in my life, and have spent a considerable amount of time thinking about this over the years as I’ve experienced various things in my life. But, as one would expect living in a developing country gives one cause to think about this a little more. I’ve tried to write such a post for some time, but have struggled to find the words to do so. I’m still not sure that I can adequately express what I feel, but now that I have reached the halfway point of my time in Ghana, I feel that I have been able to set aside some of the shock of living in a new and vastly different world and think about this a trifle more objectivity than maybe I could have in August. Coincidentally, this half way point falls in the season of Canadian Thanksgiving. And so, as is tradition around many Thanksgiving tables, I would like to express gratitude for many things.

Water: I’ve lived with just a dirty well as a water source, and I am now staying in a hotel that has run out of water. I am grateful I live in a city in Canada which has abundant clean water.

Telecom: My town has been without phone cards for a week at a time. The cell networks go down in the Upper West daily. Lawra district only ridiculously slow internet on occasion (it took me 40 minutes to send one email last week, I gave up). I am grateful for the telecommunications networks of Canada, that enable me to connect with anyone or anything whenever I want.

Food: I’ve watched children rummage through my garbage looking for food: I am grateful that I have never had to do that, or even question whether or not I would eat that day. Some days I struggle to ensure enough nutrients, and panic if I realize on the way to work I forgot to take my vitamins that morning. I am grateful that my diet in Canada naturally allows me to receive proper nutrition with minimal effort. I am grateful for fruits, vegetables and dairy products.

Education: I am grateful for the education I have received, from Kindergarten to my Master’s degree, and for all the “extras” (books, computer software, lessons, etc.) my parents gave me. I have often tried imagine what my life would be like if I was illiterate; I can not. My life is centered around the fact that I can read and write. One of the agric officers related to me a story of when he was trying to convince some of his farmers that the beautiful butterfly started out as the menacing caterpillar, but he could not do so successfully. While I can appreciate the abstractness of metamorphosis, it seems like something I always knew. There are two fabulous ladies in my office, each single-handedly raising their families. They tell me of the sacrifices they make because they want each of their children, daughters and sons, to not only be able to complete secondary school, but to go onto university.

The Beauty of the Earth: I appreciate the beauty of Canada. I purchased a small coffee table book of Canadian scenery to share with my new friends and neighbors in Ghana. I have spent much time looking through this book myself, each time with increased appreciation and awe for the diversity of our country and the unique beauty of each province. When I am feeling especially homesick, I watch an episode of a TV show set in Calgary and surrounding areas. More often than not, scenes are filmed to highlight views of the Bow River valley and the Foothills, the sun setting over the Rockies, or the vastness of Alberta plains, reminding me of what I have in my own backyard. 

I am also grateful for the beauty of Africa, the vastness of the land and the hugeness of the skies. I can look up at the moon and stars, and know that they are the same moon and stars that my family and friends are looking at.

Technology: Modern conveniences such as the oven, multi-element ranges, washing machines, dish washers give us back so much time. Refrigerators, which allow us to reduce the time spent going to market and allow us to stock-up on food. Electricity, especially electricity that is consistent in it’s delivery, that enables us to work at our own pace, and not have our days regulated by the sun.

Transportation: If you’ve read my tro blog, then you know why. I love my truck, and am grateful I have always been able to afford my own transport in some shape or form.

Friends: The older I get, the more I realize the importance of having a network of strong people as friends. I’m grateful for the many people who have supported me through the last year, and continue to send encouraging (and sometimes just ridiculously funny) emails while I’m here in Ghana. I am also grateful for the many friendships I have made in Ghana, both with other expats and with Ghanaians. There are amazing people everywhere in the world, waiting to teach you something and be your friend. We just need to make the effort to find them.

Family: Of everything I could possibly miss in Ghana (and that is a lot of things), there is nothing I miss more than my siblings. Well,  hot showers are up there, but because of my many siblings, I don’t always get the warmest showers anyway. They provide me with continual support, and I know that they will always do so. I am grateful that our parents encouraged us to be friends, because there are not 5 other people in the world I would rather spend more time with than them. Parents and grandparents are definitely included in this, but really, I’d be lost without my sisters and brother.

My Journey in Life: I feel like I’ve been through a strange, winding journey over the past few years. I’m sure we all feel that way. But in the end, when I step back, without it, I wouldn’t be who I am today, and progressing towards who I will be tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

No comments: