Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Photos For Previous Posts

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like I will be able to prepare my re-posts before I have the internet once again. A couple of the folders (namely all the ones I accessed on the public computer) on my USB got viruses, so I just let my anti-virus software eat them, instead of trying to extract the needed documents. Unfortunately, it means I sacrificed a couple of work files as well, but alas - guess I’ll be busy this week.

Thus, this post will be a little photo gallery to accompany the previous posts. If you can’t remember what the stories were about, or skipped something, this is my indirect way of encouraging you to go back and read or re-read.

DSCF5210

 

 

 

Left: My two shampoo options. When I was in Wa this weekend, I noticed that in a few saloon windows there was shampoo. When (if) I run out, I might venture back and see what salon goodies I can find.

 

 

 

 

 

DSCF5078 DSCF5073

Above: I had a pretty pretty pink office (L) for the first month I was here. The, the ceiling fell in part of the building so we had to do an office reorg. The volunteers were moved to another office down the hall, so as to give the pink office to someone else.  A Crate & Barrel Box (R) I found in my closet when cleaning it out. I left it in there, so I can look at it and smile if I ever get homesick at work.

DSCF1205

 

Left: Some of the staff at my office. L to R, Elizabeth (typist), Asana (Administrator), Director Ojingo Onyobie Ayo (Director of MoFA Lawra District), Spencer (former EWB Volunteer), Karimu (DAO in charge of extension), Felicia (statistics recorder for fisheries), Mariko (JICA Volunteer), and Me. The other Elizabeth and I have taken to just calling each other “Name”, rather than Elizabeth.

 

In my new white office. With the new office we each got our own desk (I share with Mariko). Well … we do have to share with a few others, but they are not in the office regularly, so I essentially have my own desk. What is more exciting is that the power outlet in this office works so I can charge things while sitting at my desk! Now, if only we had internet …

DSCF5424 DSCF5425

Below: Belinda (girl on the right, in the white dress). The photo on the left is a copy of her traditional/formal portrait she gave me. Ghanaians take photos very seriously, it is hard to convince them to smile on the camera, unless you can get a completely candid shot.

DSCF5304  DSCF5315

Below: Sondra.

After being away for the weekend I was enthusiastically greeted by not only her, but all the children in the neighbourhood. As soon I stepped off the tro-tro (sketchy intercity transport, you question how it is still functioning/held together, but somehow you end up making it from point A to B), they pulled all the bags from my hands and carried them to my room for me.

DSCF5095 DSCF5318

DSCF5150

Right: A picture of me (just in case you forgot what I looked like), trying to figure out what to do now that the sun has gone down. Fortunately, I’ve started to adapt to Ghanaian lifestyle, meaning, that as soon as the sun goes down I start to get tired. This probably has something to do with the fact that we get up, or, rather, everyone else gets up and is very noisy, thereby waking me up, before 5 am. I often opt to lay in bed and doze or listen to music or read, until a much more reasonable time of 6 am. On occasion, I’ll go for a run in the morning, but I prefer to leave work a little early and go for a run quickly before the mosquitoes come out. After you go for a run in Africa, you continue to actively sweat for at least another hour or two, despite having a cold bath. Thus, I prefer to experience this at home in the evening, rather than at work. Although, looking through my photos, I realized that something I enjoy doing is taking pictures of the sunsets, and attempting to take pictures of the moon (still figuring out my new camera, and living sans tripod). To the west of where I live is all maize fields. I think I would have to hike pretty far to get a photo of the sun not setting over a maize field, so here are a few maize sunsets and moon pictures.  Every evening is unique and beautiful in its own way.

DSCF5065       DSCF5339           DSCF5415 DSCF5133 DSCF5068 DSCF5332

No comments: