Sunday, September 6, 2009

Weekend Adventures

August 22 – The Black Volta

The Black Volta marks the border between Lawra District (Ghana) and Burkina Faso. I didn’t realize I was only about 3 km from another country. Depending on the way the wind is blowing, some days my cell jumps onto the Burkina cell networks, causing me all sorts of trouble, and now I know why. Many traders come across the river for Lawra market day to access a bigger market.

 

September 5 – The Mushroom Rocks and Sacred Spring

South of Lawra there is an area known as the Mushroom Rocks. From the pictures, it is pretty self explanatory. It almost felt like we were in a prehistoric area with random rock formations cropping up out of seemingly nowhere. I also enjoyed photographing one of the young boys who was there hanging out with his friends. He seemed to be a natural poser, and definitely loved getting his picture taken. On our way there, the moto got a flat tire. So, while Sam patched it up, I helped some ladies shell groundnuts. They are a machine! When we left, I’d probably shelled a fraction of what they did, and had very sore fingers.

Afterwards we journeyed to the Sacred Spring, which is near Babilile. Here, the ground is pretty swampy as groundwater seems up through what seems like every rock. I was told that sacrifices and rituals were often performed here, because the abundance of water was like a gift from the Gods.

No comments: