Saturday, November 14, 2009

Feathered Friends (?)

Friday afternoon, 4:00 pm. I was tired of being at work for the day and decided it was time for me to leave.

I sit on my bicycle chatting with my colleagues, who were hanging out under the car park, for awhile. It is in these end of day conversations that I learn interesting things.

A mother bird started to chase her chicks around, leading them to swarm my feet (I was wearing sandals). I watched them intently, not realizing that I have now unconsciously raised my feet so just my toes are touching the ground.

Director: “You’re more interested in the birds than us now?” Probably recalling the time I was distracted by the newborn goats when I was supposed to be taking pictures of crops.

Me: “Umm …” still focused on watching the birds, not really able to form a proper sentence.

Director: “You’re afraid ?!?”

Me: “Um...”

So once again, I am teased about fowl … especially given that the veterinary officers was there.

Sigh …

Anyway, I told them that the first step to overcome a fear was admitting that it existed, and I have done so …

Director: “I think I might have to give you a special assignment. Next time Veterinary goes out to do poultry vaccinations, I think you’re going to have to go with him. You can chase the birds, grab them and give them their vaccinations”.

Me: Nervous laughter.

Veterinary: Genuine laughter.

I hope this doesn’t come to pass.

No comments: