Monday, November 16, 2009

To Kill a Fowl, Act 2

How many posts about birds can write in a week?

Saturday morning there was a knock at my door and I was told to bring my camera. I came outside and my neighbor is proudly holding a guinea fowl. He had been given the fowl by a friend and informed me that I was going to slaughter it. I agreed.

Tony helped me by arranging the bird on the ground, showing me where to place my foot on its wings. He (the bird, not Tony) started squawking and flapping a little. City-girl instinct: scream and jump back. I get recomposed and repositioned and take the knife.

Um … where do I cut? Tony holds the neck and guides my knife to the right position.  After saying sorry to the bird, I tried, but couldn’t get the knife through the skin. Tony takes over, then admits that the knife was incredibly dull, as he struggle a little as well.

So, in the end, I failed to kill a bird yet again.

Note: This entire event was filmed, but unfortunately, I accidentally deleted the video (along with everything else on my memory card!)

No comments: